Thursday, October 16, 2014

Poe

This past week we've started reading some poetry in American Literature, and let me tell you, there are most defiantly some interesting poems we've read. But more importantly, there's this really interesting dude named Edgar Allan Poe. "Hmm, that name sounds super familiar.. Where have I heard this name before?" were my immediate thoughts when I heard this, then I recalled this one Simpsons episode where Bart, Maggie, and Lisa reenacted The Raven written by him. But this Poe guy, his life seems like H-E-double-hockey-sticks; I mean his life was just terrible. He was poor, he had a bad love life, and the worst of it all.. he was a middle child. Now come on, being a middle child sucks; it seems as though you're never really as important as the other siblings. Other than Poe being a middle child, his poetry was pretty dang creepy, I mean, lots of morbid, and supernatural things are just always happening. Like in The Cask of Amontillado, I mean he killed a guy in the Catacombs. Like, could you've picked a better place to kill someone, or even store wine. Now, just storing wine by dead bodies is just morbid all by itself, but killing a person, I mean Fortunato shoulda had that coming considering he was quite the jerk to Montresor, but then again he was drunk and it's not everyday you get your hands on the delicacy Amontialldo, though I don't really suggest losing your life over it.

4 comments:

  1. You're right. Poe has a very interesting past, and for this reason it affected his writing. I think it's quite interesting to see how he connected his life with his writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way Poe's life reflects in his writing, gives us an inside to the horrors he faced as a young child and all the way to his death. Poe was definitely a weird guy, but like Aisha said the way it reflects in his writing is interesting. It adds a certain amount of creepiness to the way he writes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Poe's writing he, talks a lot about dead loved ones. I think that when he does this, sometimes he is talking about those that he had lost. It is hard to say, however, because he always uses different names, and many people have already tried to prove that the poem was about themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you looked into his biography a bit. I'm reluctant to spend too much time on biography in class, because I'm afraid that it will hamper interpretation of texts.

    ReplyDelete